Welcome to the Heartful Editor Team!
We are so excited you will be part of our community!
HEARTFUL EDITOR EMAIL
Your Heartful Editor email account will be email@example.com. You will receive set-up instructions at your personal address. Once you set up your account, please send a test email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Heartful Leadership Team sends out regular communication to support and guide editors (e.g., Heartful Editor Updates, Tuesday Tips, Final Review Fridays), so please be sure you check your Heartful Editor email regularly. Email is also where you will find project descriptions and how you will communicate with your director and the scholars we support.
Please use 10-point Verdana font in your emails. You will also want to set up your signature using the following template:
Name, Degree (PhD or EdD)
Academic Writing Coach and Editor
Stay connected with us via Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, and our Community of Scholars listserv!
INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR AGREEMENT
If you are a new academic writing coach and editor focused on short-term projects, please read, sign, and submit the Independent Contractor Agreement for Academic Writing Coaches and Editors (Short Term).
If you are a new academic writing coach and editor focused on long-term projects, please read, sign, and submit the Independent Contractor Agreement for Academic Writing Coaches and Editors (Long Term).
All independent contractors who earn $600.00 or more in a calendar year will be issued a 1099-MISC form by January 31st of the following year. Our independent contractors are responsible for paying income and self-employment tax. We cannot provide tax guidance, but we encourage you to consult with your tax accountant regarding how to report these earnings.
PERSONAL INFORMATION AND TIME ENTRY
Once your email account has been created, we will invite you to QuickBooks to enter your personal information for tax purposes, including your address, social security number, and bank account and routing numbers for direct deposit. We will also send you an invite to access time entry!
We use QuickBooks for time entry and sending invoices to the scholars we support. Hours worked should be entered in QuickBooks after each editing session or at the end of the week. This ensures we can invoice the scholars we support in a timely manner and pay team members on the 1st of each month.
Please follow these instructions for how to enter time:
- Please make sure to bookmark QuickBooks to make it easier to access and log hours. There is also an app you can use on your mobile device, and you can enter your hours there, too!
- Our work weeks are set up Monday–Sunday. Time for the week needs to be entered by end-of-the-day Sunday each week, no later than 11:59pm PST. We invoice on Mondays, so it is very important that your hours are entered on time. Two helpful tips: (a) enter your time after each editing session so your hours are always up to date and/or (b) set a reminder on your calendar to update your hours by the Sunday deadline. We send a reminder every Sunday.
- To enter a time activity, first be sure you see your NAME. Then, select the DATE of the work you completed, your CUSTOMER NAME, select “Services” under SERVICE (not “Hours”), make sure BILLABLE is checked, and enter the number of hours you worked (you do not need to enter a start and end time).
- The text in the DESCRIPTION field should be typed in one of these formats with the X representing the number of hours (e.g., 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5). Make sure to capitalize each part of the entry, include the hyphen, and do not abbreviate “hour” or “minute.” Do not enter any other text other than one of these options (these are the most common):
- X-Hour Editing Session (Thesis)
- X-Hour Editing Session (Manuscript)
- X-Hour Editing Session (Career Materials)
- X-Hour Editing Session (Course Paper)
- X-Hour Editing Session (Dissertation)
- 30-Minute Editing Session (for any of the above, but no fewer than 30 minutes should be entered here)
- To enter time for a student from one of our partner campuses, select the campus name as the CUSTOMER and enter the following text in the DESCRIPTION field:
- X-Hour Editing Session (Student’s Name)
- When you are done entering the information, select “Save” in the bottom right corner (or “Save and New” if you are adding another time entry). This does not send an invoice, so you can go back and adjust prior to the Sunday deadline if needed.
- We only invoice in 30-minute increments—30 minutes, 1 hour, 1.5 hours, 2 hours, and so on. You can round up or down based on what you feel is fair to you and the scholar you are supporting. For example, if you work for 1 hour and 15 minutes but spent 15 minutes training yourself on a new APA skill, you should only invoice for 1 hour. If you work for 1 hour and 20 minutes and spend 10 minutes writing the student or scholar an email with feedback, you should invoice for 1.5 hours.
TEAM MEMBER BIO
We love to highlight the academic and professional backgrounds of our team members! Please visit OUR TEAM to learn more about the Heartful Editor team, and send your bio and a non-formal headshot (we are working on adding headshots to this page) to email@example.com when you have yours ready to share!
HEARTFUL EDITOR GUIDELINES
We will invite you to the Heartful Editor Guidelines (through the Gmail address you provided) where you can start to learn more about Heartful Editor behind the scenes! Our processes and guidelines are always evolving, and they help our team members stay up to date on how to best support our student and faculty colleagues. Please be sure you read them in their entirety before getting started.
The Heartful Editor Guidelines cover “how-to” steps you need to know to work through the Heartful Editor process. As proficiency in both APA and Microsoft Word functions are needed, we also include lists of tips and tutorials for both. The Heartful Editor Guidelines should always be the first point of reference when you have a question. We are constantly adding to the guidelines, so please revisit them often.
We understand there is a lot of information provided in the Heartful Editor Guidelines. We recommend you use “View Document Outline,” which serves as a table of contents. It can be found under “View.” If we send information out in an email, it will also be included in the Heartful Editor Guidelines if you need to reference it later. There is also the “Find and Replace” function on the “Edit” menu so you can search for keywords.
ClickUp is our project management system.
Long-Term Team Members
Please review the Heartful Editor Long-Term ClickUp Guidebook. We continue to update this as we learn new things about the system and discover best practices. We also recommend viewing this ClickUp Overview Video. If you are curious about all the areas in ClickUp and not just the area’s you will use directly, you can view this ClickUp Orientation video, but please note that some of the information in that video is now out-of-date.
Once you are through the onboarding process, you will use the editor queue in the “Editor Availability” section in ClickUp. Directors get first priority on projects, so the queue and the available project list may not line up exactly. You will be contacted if you are at the top of the queue to see if you are interested in a project once it is time for you to sign-up in the queue. It will be very important to have your notifications set up correctly so you do not miss this communication!
Here are the steps you will need to take:
- You will receive an email in your Heartful Editor email account inviting you to ClickUp, which you will need to accept.
- You can feel free to ignore the tutorial videos they provide at the beginning as you are only focused on using ClickUp for specified processes.
- Set up your email.
- Steps with screenshots provided in How-To section of the Guidebook.
- Be sure Admins are set to be allowed to send from your account.
- Let Sabrena know as soon as you do this so she can adjust your permissions in the system appropriately.
- Adjust your notification settings based on what is outlined in the Notification Requirements section of the Guidebook.
- If these are not set up correctly, you will receive many unneeded notifications or you will not receive the notifications you do need.
- Set up your profile picture.
- Steps with screenshots provided in How-To section of the Guidebook.
- Begin using ClickUp!
- ClickUp able to be accessed in several ways, which you can find here.
- We recommend using Me Mode to simplify your view.
Short-Term Team Members
Please review the Heartful Editor Short-Term ClickUp Guidebook. We continue to update this as we learn new things about the system and discover best practices. We also recommend viewing this Short-Term ClickUp Video. If you are curious about all the areas in ClickUp and not just the area’s you will use directly, you can view this ClickUp Orientation video, but please note that some of the information in that video is now out-of-date.
NEW TEAM MEMBER ORIENTATION
We have put together a New Team Member Orientation presentation to highlight some of the most common questions and needed information when first getting started. We are here to support you if you have questions!
The executive director will support you on your first project. The executive director will reach out to set up a Zoom meeting once you have had a chance to review the Heartful Editor Guidelines and ClickUp orientation to help ensure you understand our process. As you review the Heartful Editor Guidelines, please be sure to note any questions you have so the executive director can help answer them at the time of your meeting.
After your first project, you will be paired with one of our directors of academic writing coaching and editing who will provide second-level reviews, ongoing feedback, and answers to any questions you might have along the way. Your director will be there to support you throughout your time with Heartful Editor!
Once your email account has been created, we will invite you to Slack!
The Heartful Editor team uses Slack for quick internal communication. It is a great place to ask questions and get support from your Heartful Editor colleagues. The Slack channel is intended as a space where we can all learn from one another. We encourage you to not only post questions as you have them but also to answer questions to which you know the answer!
- You have to be invited to Slack, so if you have not yet been or can no longer find the invite, please let Sabrena know!
- You can download the Slack application onto your phone and/or computer.
- Once you get into Slack, you will want to set up your profile. You can find instructions for how to do that here. Personalize your profile by adding a picture, so we can put a face with your name!
- There are many useful aspects of Slack, which you can read more about here, but the most important are the #heartfuleditorteam channel and direct messaging.
- The #heartfuleditorteam channel is where you can post a question to the team or respond to a question from someone else. Please feel free to share tips or anything else you think the team might benefit from seeing.
- You can tag other editors or directors in the #heartfuleditorteam channel by typing the @ symbol followed by their name. This feature is useful when you may not know the answer to something but think someone else might, or when you are less than fully confident in your answer and want to confirm accuracy.
- Direct messaging allows you to message anyone in the company as needed!
Heartful Editor uses a team approach for every project, and you will receive feedback on both short- and long-term projects, which every team members is expected to review and integrate into future projects. At the end of each long-term project, students will receive a survey to rate us on our Standards of Excellence:
Heartful Support for Scholars of All Skill Levels
Enthusiasm and Encouragement in Every Interaction
Accuracy and Precision in Academic Writing Coaching and Editing
Responsive, Timely, and Clear Communication
Transparency in Our Editing Process
A student’s Heartful Editor team will receive this feedback so we can strengthen our practice for future projects. Then, toward the end of each 6-month contract, this information will be compiled and used as part of a 360-degree feedback process.
If you have questions, please ask! Sara, Sabrena, the directors, and our academic writing coaches and editors are committed to providing help as needed!